Meanwhile, stranded Ugandans who wish to return from abroad will meet both the cost of their flights and institutional quarantine, according to the Ministry of Health.
This follows reports that cabinet on Monday cleared the 2400 Ugandans stranded abroad to return following constant pressure and calls to have them evacuated, like other nations were doing.
After a series of engagements, and a presidential directive that a cabinet paper be drafted and a committee be instituted to study the matter, the government has cleared the stranded people to return.
On the side-lines of the Manifesto week at the Office of the Prime Minister yesterday, the Minister for Health Jane Ruth Aceng told the press that indeed the matter had been resolved, and the Ugandans will come back in phases and that those who can afford to meet their travel and quarantine expenses will be evacuated. Dr. Aceng speaking….
Earlier, Dr. Aceng says that the government will now have to procure additional test kits for the Ugandans coming and also prepare on how to adequately manage them.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is expected to present a detailed statement in Parliament today on the evacuation process.
There are several Ugandans stuck abroad including English teachers in China, teachers in Rwanda, Ugandans who had travelled for conferences and studies, and prominent Ugandans like former Electoral Commission Chairperson Engineer Badru Kiggundu, Musician Eddie Kenzo and Acholi Paramount Chief, Rwot David Onen Acana II. END