Two explosions struck near the main gate of Kabul airport yesterday, causing multiple casualties in what the US military labelled a ‘complex attack’ that took place as countries raced to complete evacuations from Afghanistan.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said there were ‘a number’ of US and civilian casualties in the bombings, which came just hours after Western officials said they had intelligence that suicide bombings were planned against the airport.
The Baron Hotel, about 200 meters from the Abbey Gate, had been used by some western nations as a staging point for evacuations since the airlift began on August 14.
The US State Department said there were also reports of gunfire.
An official from the ministry of public health, who does not want to be identified, has told the BBC that the number of people killed in yesterday’s airport attack has risen to 90 people with more than 150 injured. END.