At least 60 killed in attacks in Nigeria’s northwest

At least 60 people have been shot dead and dozens others wounded by gunmen in a village in the north-western Nigerian state of Sokoto.

The gunmen opened fire last morning when residents tried to stop them from leaving with a local businessman they had abducted.

Residents told the BBC that the victim had been buried and those wounded were receiving treatment in a hospital.

A police spokesperson in Sokoto state said that more security forces had been deployed to the area.

North-western Nigeria is the worst-hit region as the country grapples with armed criminal gangs frequently carrying out kidnappings for ransom.

A search is still under way for more than 300 schoolgirls abducted from a boarding school in neighbouring Zamfara state on Friday. END.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *